Friday, September 7, 2012

Politicians (and the rest of us)


Asked about my preference regarding the behavior of politicians, I wrote that my hope is that political candidates and politicians would hew close to the Bodhisattva precepts. 

Is it possible? I hope so. 

Is it possible for me, for all of us, to hew close to the Bodhisattva precepts in our behavior? I hope so - and do my best. 

Are my hopes an impossible dream? 

Then this is a good dream to have.


Below is a version of the Bodhisattva precepts (from "Everything is the Way").

THE 3 PURE PRECEPTS:
1ST - TO BE NON-HARMING, TO CEASE ALL HARMFUL ACTIONS.
2ND - TO DO GOOD.
3RD - TO DO GOOD FOR OTHERS, TO SERVE ALL EXISTENCE

THE 10 GRAVE PRECEPTS:
1ST - TO PRACTICE NON-KILLING.
2ND - TO PRACTICE NON-STEALING.
3RD - TO PRACTICE NOT BEING GREEDY, NOT MISUSING SEXUALITY.
4TH - TO PRACTICE TELLING THE TRUTH.
5TH - TO BE AWARE OF MY WAYS OF CLOUDING THE TRUTH BY MY IGNORANCE.
6TH - TO ABSTAIN FROM SPEAKING OF THE ERRORS AND FAULTS OF OTHERS.
7TH - NOT TO ELEVATE MYSELF OR PUT DOWN OTHERS.
8TH - TO BE GENEROUS.
9TH - NOT TO INDULGE IN SELF-CENTERED ANGER.
1OTH - NOT TO SPEAK ILL OF THE THREE TREASURES, THE TRUTH, THE TEACHING AND THOSE WHO PRACTICE THE TEACHING.